This article is specific to the process of printing business cards at Davidson College. The techniques might be applicable in other situations, but the instructions are written as a workaround for the error message "Publisher cannot save the file" when attempting to save a PDF from within Publisher.
Save a PDF from Microsoft Publisher 2016 with this workaround
- Open the business card in Microsoft Publisher 2016. These instructions assume the document has already been sized correctly for printing the business cards. (That is, the paper size is 3.5" by 2".)
- In Publisher, select the File > Save As menu options and choose a name and location for the PDF file to be saved.
- In the Save As dialog box, click on the Save as type drop-down list box and choose PDF (*.pdf).
- In the lower left corner of the Save As dialog box, click on the Options... button.
- Near the top of the Publish Options dialog box, select the High Quality option.
- In the lower left corner of the Publish Options dialog box, click on the Print Options... button.
- In the upper left corner of the Print Options dialog box, select One page per sheet for the business cards.
- Click on the OK button to close the Print Options dialog box.
- ***IMPORTANT*** Back on the Publish Options dialog box, deselect the Document structure tags for accessibility option.
- Click on the OK button to close the Publish Options dialog box.
- Click on the Save button to create the new PDF file.