Issue: If you start Internet Explorer/Banner in Windows and see nothing but a white screen, this is usually due to an issue with Java, which is required. This document describes the steps necessary to solve this issue.
Install the correct version of Java
- Download the correct Java installation file from this link:
This is not the most recent version of Java because testing has shown there are issues with the latest version.
- Locate the file you just downloaded. It is named jre-8u121-windows-i586.exe and is most likely located in your Downloads folder. Double-click on the Java installation file and follow the instructions to install Java.
Edit the Java default settings
- Click on the Windows Start button in the lower left corner of the Windows desktop.
- Search for and then launch the Control Panel application.
- On the Control Panel dialog box, type java in the Search field in the upper right corner.
- In the search results, click on Java (32-bit) to open the Java Control Panel.
- In the Java Control Panel, click on the Security tab.
- Click on the Edit Site List... button.
- Type http://bmw1.davidson.edu:9001 and press the OK button.
- Click on the Continue button to acknowledge the added security risk.
- Click on the Restore Security Prompts... button.
- On the Confirmation dialog box, click on the Restore All button.
- Click on the OK button to close the Java Control Panel.
Launch Banner via Internet Explorer
- Launch Mozilla Firefox. Once the browser is loaded, go to banner.davidson.edu
At this point, you should see several Java security prompts. Please read these carefully as described in detail below.
- On the Do you want to run this application? dialog box, check the Do not show this again... checkbox and then click on the Run button.
- On the Java Update Needed dialog box, select the Do not ask again until the next update is available check box and then click on the Later button.
- The Banner login dialog box should now appear.
If you do not see the Banner login dialog box, please contact the Service Desk. You may need to install an older version of Mozilla Firefox.
- Log into Banner using your normal credentials. You will see one last Java dialog box.
- On the Do you want to run this application? dialog box, select the Do not show this again... checkbox and then click on the Run button.