Important: To use the Respondus LockDown Browser on a Davidson public lab computer or kiosk laptop, you must use the macOS operating system. If the public lab computer in front of you is running Windows, you can either reboot into macOS or you can move to a computer already running macOS.
How to launch the Respondus LockDown Browser
- Log into the macOS operating system using your normal Davidson username and password.
Please be patient!
Logging into an iMac for the first time can take up to 3-4 minutes. Please do not give up and restart the computer.
- Click on the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass) in the upper right corner of the desktop.
- In the Spotlight Search dialog box, type lockdown
- Within seconds, the results of your search should appear. With your mouse pointer, double-click on the words LockDown Browser at the top of the results list.
More often than not, you will see a dialog box informing you that some “blacklisted” applications are running. If so, click on the Kill these applications button. If the dialog box provides specific instructions as to what you need to close or settings you need to change, please follow those instructions. If you are still unsuccessful in launching the LockDown Browser, please try steps 3 and 4 again.
- When the LockDown Browser is finished loading, you should see the Moodle login screen. Once again, log in using your normal Davidson username and password.
- Open the course in which you will be taking the exam.
- Click on the link for the exam and a new window will open.
- Click on the Attempt quiz now button to begin the exam.
Moodle exam responses are saved as you move from one question to another. As such, it is prudent to periodically move forward or backward in the exam to save your work.
- When you have submitted your exam, please close the LockDown Browser by clicking on the tiny red dot in the upper left corner of the exam window. Then please log off the computer.