Most faculty, staff and students should print to PawPrint if possible. If a local networked printer is set up for a team or work group, the following steps will describe how to set it up on a Mac. The instructions below assume that you are an administrator on the computer on which you are installing the printer.
Note: Students will not be able to print to these printers from their personal computers.
Find the driver installation file
- Before you start, you need the specific brand and model number of the printer (e.g. HP LaserJet 600 M602, Xerox WorkCentre 7545) and the network name (e.g. WAL315-PRT, MAR1C1).
- Open the Finder.
- In the Finder, select the Go > Connect to Server... menu options.
- In the Server Address field, type smb://davidson.edu/data/software/mac and click on the Connect button.
- You may be required to authenticate at this point. If so, enter your username and password and click on the Connect button.
- You should now see a Finder window displaying the contents of the Mac folder on the Louise server. Double-click to open the Printing folder.
- Double-click to open the appropriate folder based on the manufacturer of your local printer. For example, if you have a Xerox printer, double-click on the Xerox folder. If you have a Hewlett-Packard printer, double-click on the HP Printers folder.
- Double-click to open the appropriate folder based on the specific model of printer you have. This folder contains an image file with the printer drivers you need to install.
Install the driver installation file
Note: The following steps represent the installation for a typical Xerox printer driver. Your steps might vary depending on manufacturer and model.
- You should now be in the folder with the image file containing the printer drivers you need to install. Double-click on the file to open the image file.
- You should now see a dialog box containing what's know as the driver "package." Double-click to launch the driver installation.
- If you see a message regarding the certificate, click on the Continue button.
- On the This package will run a program to... dialog box, click on the Continue button.
- On the Welcome... dialog box, click on the Continue button once again.
- On the Software License Agreement dialog box, click on the Continue button.
- Click on the Agree button to agree to the terms of the Software License Agreement.
- On the initial installation dialog box, click on the Install button.
- You may be required to authenticate at this point. Once you have entered the username and password (or not), click on the Install Software button.
- On the Select a Printer dialog box, do not select a printer. Instead, click on the Continue button.****IF you are working with the printer in Baker, BAK1083, you must select the printer in the dialog box(Workcentre 5335). This printer is the exception***
- On the Print Queue Not Created dialog box, click on the Continue button.
- On the The installation was successful dialog box, click on the Close button.
Install the printer on your computer
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your macOS screen.
- Select System Preferences... from the Apple drop-down menu.
- Click on the Printers & Scanners icon in the second row.
- On the Printers & Scanners dialog box, look in the lower left corner. If see a lock icon , click on the icon and authenticate with an administrator's username and password.
- Under the list of existing printers (if there are any), click on the + button to add a new printer.
- On the Add dialog box, click on the IP toolbar icon.
- In the Address field, type the Davidson network name for the printer. Some examples are BAKB080, WAL315-PRT and MAR1C1.
- In most cases, the printer will be recognized and the specific model number will appear in the Use filed. If the printer driver is not automatically recognized, select the printer model from the Use drop-down list box.
- Click on the Add button.
- After a brief delay, the new printer should appear in your Printers list.
Add accounting codes (if necessary)
- Open Microsoft Word (or any app from which you typically print) and select File > Print.
- In the Printer drop-down list box at the top of the dialog box, select the printer that requires accounting codes.
- On the Copies & Pages drop-down list box, select the Xerox Features menu option.
- On the Paper/Output drop-down list box, select the Advanced menu option.
- Click on the Accounting... button.
- On the Accounting dialog box:
- Select Standard Accounting (or Xerox Standard Accounting, etc.) in the Accounting System drop-down list box.
- Select Do Not Prompt in the Accounting Prompt drop-down list box.
- In the Default User ID field, type in your accounting code. This is typically a four-digit number.
- In the Default Account ID (or Group ID, in some cases), type in your group ID. This is typically either 999999 or 01.
- Click on the OK button.
- Once you have added the accounting information, you must save your default settings as a "preset." To do this, click on the Presets drop-down list box (near the top of the dialog box) and select Save Current Settings As Preset...
- Enter an appropriate name for your preset (e.g. Accounting) and click on the OK button.
- Click on the Print button to see if the new printer is set up correctly.