Davidson College provides Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus free of charge to all students. The ProPlus version allows you to install a full copy of Office locally on your computer (not cloud dependent). Students are entitled to install Microsoft Office on up to five devices, on or off campus, and can also get Office for iPad and Office Mobile for iPhone, Windows Phone, and Android.
Install Office 365 on your computer
- Open a browser and navigate to http://office365.davidson.edu
- On the Davidson single-sign on (SSO) screen, log in with your Davidson email address and password.
- On the Office 365 main page, click on the Install Office 2016 button in the upper right corner. If you can't see the button because it's obscured by a message, press the Esc key to clear the message.
- At this point, the installation file will be downloaded to your computer. Depending on your browser of choice, you might be asked where to save the file or it might automatically drop the file into your Downloads folder.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to launch the installation. The file to install is named Microsoft_Office_2016_15.36.xxx_Installer.pkg
- If you receive a message reading "Microsoft_Office_2016_15.36.xxx_Installer.pkg can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer," use the following steps:
- Click on the OK button to close the dialog box.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences... in the drop-down menu.
- In the top row, click on the Security & Privacy icon.
- On the Security & Privacy dialog box, click on the Lock icon in the lower left corner.
- Enter the Username and Password you use to log into your Mac and click on the Unlock button.
- Click on the Open Anyway button in the lower right corner.
- Click on the Continue button to resume the Microsoft Office installation.
- Again, click on the Continue button.
- Click on the Agree button.
- Click on the Install button.
- Enter the Username and Password you use to log into your Mac and click on the Install Software button.
- The installation will now commence. Please be patient as the installation can take up to ten minutes.
- When the dust settles and the installation is complete, you will see a "The installation was successful" message. Click on the Close button to finish the installation.
Set up Outlook on your computer
- Once Office 365 is installed, there is still a one-time only Outlook setup that will take less than five minutes to complete. Begin by opening Outlook on your Mac. The easiest way to do this is to click on the Spotlight icon in the upper right corner, type Microsoft Outlook, and press the return key.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Select the Colorful or Classic interface and click on the Continue > button.
- Click on the Start Using Outlook button.
- On the Set up my Inbox dialog box, click on the Add Account button.
- Click on the Exchange or Office 365 icon.
- On the Enter your Exchange account information screen:
- In the Email address field, type in your full Davidson email address.
- In the User name field, type davidson\ followed by your Davidson username
For example, Forrest Tucker would enter davidson\fotucker
- In the Password field, type in your Davidson password.
- Click on the Add Account button.
- On the Outlook was redirected to the server... dialog box, click on the check box entitled Always use my response for this server. Put another way, you do want this box checked.
- Once the checkbox is checked, click on the Allow button to proceed.
- Deja vu. Once again, click on the check box entitled Always use my response for this server and click on the Allow button to proceed.
- You should now see a Davidson authentication dialog box. Enter your Davidson password and click on the Sign in button.
Good to know...
- Microsoft Office can be installed whether you are on campus or off.
- Davidson provides Office 365 as long as you are an enrolled student. Once you leave Davidson, you will have the option to buy additional years of subscription at a greatly reduced price (currently $80 for 4 years). If you don’t pay, Office will go into a “reduced functionality” mode.