Davidson's VPN (virtual private network) capability allows access to Davidson network resources while working off-campus. VPN requires installation of the Cisco AnyConnect application on your Windows or macOS computer. VPN is available to employees only. Note: To fully test a VPN installation, you must be off-campus.
- Launch a browser and open https://vpn.davidson.edu
- At the resulting Login dialog box, enter your Davidson username and password. You can leave the Group drop down list box set to 01-Regular.
- At this point, an "automatic installation" of the Cisco AnyConnect application will either succeed or not. If the installation succeeds, you can proceed to Step 6. If not, please continue to the next step of these instructions.
- If the automatic installation was unsuccessful, click on the link to download the manual installer for the Cisco AnyConnect client.
- Find the manual installer file (probably in your Downloads folder) and double-click on the file to launch it. Work your way through the installation process, entering your admin password if prompted.
- Once the installer is finished, run the program entitled Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. On the Mac, this program will be in your Applications folder. In Windows, look in Programs or All apps.
Tip: On the Mac, you can search for the app by clicking on the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass in the upper right corner) and typing cisco. Similarly, in Windows 10 you can click on the Start button in the lower right corner and type cisco
- Once the Cisco AnyConnect app is launched, you should see the VPN Ready to connect dialog box. Type in vpn.davidson.edu and click on the Connect button.
- the resulting dialog box, enter your Davidson username and password. You can leave the Group drop-down list box set to 01-Regular.
- Once VPN is successfully connected, you should see a tiny circular icon with a lock. On the Mac, this icon will appear in the Menu Bar in the upper right corner. On Windows, the icon will appear in the System Tray in the lower right corner. In either case, you can click on this icon to either disconnect or connect to VPN from this point forward.